The Illiana Genealogical & Historical is one of the valuable resources of the Danville/Vermilion County community that is often overlooked. Located immediately west of the First Presbyterian Church in Danville at 215 West North Street. IGHS is housed in the former mansion of Anderson Heinly, a 1892 historic structure that later served as the location of both the Berhalter and Pape Funeral Homes.
Incorporated on November 23, 1964, IGHS was the first chartered genealogical society in Illinois. The society first met in the classroom of the late Lowell Volkel, a history teacher at Danville High School, with its historical books and records stored on a bookcase shelf in the back of his classroom. Over the years, IGHS has substantially increased both its resources, as well as the services that it provides.
After stints at the Danville Public Library and at a storefront location downtown, IGHS purchased and moved to its present location in 1998. IGHS now houses a comprehensive genealogical and historical library consisting of thousands of books, as well as a variety of other resources. Staffed by volunteers, the IGHS library collects, catalogs, and maintains genealogical and historical records pertaining to the Illiana area. For all available resources click on the Colllections tab.